Career, College, Financial Aid and ACT Resources
Some information and application forms are available online. Contact Mrs. Flynn for other forms.
I Have A Plan Iowa
Student Award Search
PublicHealth.org is a site that provides information on careers in public health, and resources on major public health issues, such as a preventative care guide.
Scholarships From Insurance Companies
SchoolSoup is a large scholarship database.
- SchoolSoup adds almost 5,000 new scholarships each week to the database.
- SchoolSoup has information on thousands of colleges and universities.
- SchoolSoup has information on hundreds of careers and offers a free career aptitude test to help students make good career choices.
- SchoolSoup does not sell names or email addresses.
- Buena Vista University STEM Careers Scholarship Deadline not designated
- EFC of $13,500 or less according to the FAFSA, then two of the following: GPA of 3.3 or higher, ACT Math score of 24 or higher, or rank in the top 25% or your class.
- Iowa Student Loan funding opportunities
- Waldorf College – Chantell Cooley Leadership Scholarship for Women http://www.waldorf.edu Deadline not designated
- Based on leadership potential, GPA and ACT and membership in one of the following campus organizations: Entrepreneurship, Service Learning, Digital Media, STEM, Campus Ministry, Creative Writing, Honors, Historia.
- Iowa Veteran’s Foundation No time limit
- Must be an Iowa Veteran or descendent of an active duty, honorable discharged, retired, and/or Reserve Component and National Guard military personnel, officer or enlisted, who was an Iowa Veteran.
- DMACC Valedictorian and Honors Scholarships
- Valedictorian – 100% tuition for two years plus a $500 per year stipend for books
- Honors Program – Waives tuition for up to 20 credit hours in the DMACC Honors Program.
- University of Iowa – Iowa Farm Scholarship 3-5-18
- Financial need determined by FAFSA, upper 25% of graduating class, must be living on a farm and your parents must be operating the farm.
- First Cooperative Association 3-8-18
- Must be a Class A member or employee of First Cooperative Association. Preference given to a student enrolled in ag-related studies. Factors considered are academic achievement, community and school service, extra-curricular activities, and need.
- Morningside College Nursing Scholarship 3-9-18
- $1,000 to incoming nursing student.
- Farmer’s Mutual Insurance Ass’n www.fmiahull.com 3-10-18
- 20 – $1,000 scholarships. Minimum GPA of 3.0. Based on student goals, current activities, and teacher/counselor evaluations.
- SFM Foundation Scholarship www.sfmfoundation.com 3-13-18
- For students whose parents were killed or seriously injured in workplace accidents while working for Minnesota, Iowa, or Wisconsin employers. Up to $10,000 per year.
- Western Iowa Tech Foundation Scholarship 3-14-18
- Up to $1,500 per year. Must apply on MyWIT.
- Herbert Hoover Uncommon Student Award (Juniors) www.HooverPresidentialFoundation.org/grantsawards/uncommon_student.php. 3-15-18
- $6,000 – Identifies and honors Iowa high school juniors who propose and then accomplish a project of their own choosing and design reflecting Mr. Hoover’s talents in areas such as business, technology, conservation, engineering and community service.
- Missouri River Energy Services Scholarship Program 3-15-18 http://www.mrenergy.com/services/scholarships
- Reside in one of Missouri River Energy Services’ municipal utilities service areas. Although Missouri River Energy Services expects scholarships will be presented to students entering a broad variety of course studies, students planning to train as an electrical line worker, electrical engineer or in a closely related field are encouraged to apply. Guidelines and application available online
- First Friday Breakfast Club www.ffbciowa.org 3-15-18
- Quota International Foundation Grant 3-16-18
- Awarded to students pursuing post-secondary education who are deaf or hearing impaired. Also students who are going into a field of study that will benefit and assist those who are deaf or hearing impaired such as Audiology, Speech Pathology, and Deaf Education.
- Iowa State Dairy Association iowadairy.org 3-16-18
- 14 college scholarships of $500 each. Must be the child or grandchild of a current ISDA member or be an employee or the child of an employee on a dairy farm which belongs to ISDA.
- Acacia Leadership Iowa State University 3-16-18
- Male graduating senior who attends Iowa State University
- Western Iowa Tech Scholarships 3-17-18
- Ag Partners & Alceco www.agpartners.com/ffa-scholarship 3-19-18
- Pheasants Forever 3-26-18
- Applicant should be interested in wildlife conservation, hunting, shooting, and outdoor activities.
- Siouxland Sportsmanship Scholarship 3-30-18
- Must participate in at least one sport for three years, 3.00 minimum GPA, outstanding character
- Woods, Fuller, Shultz & Smith P.C. Scholarship 3-31-18
- 5- $1000 scholarships to high school seniors in the area.
- Nonken Trust Scholarship 4-1-18
- Student must be a resident of Cherokee County. Preference given based on financial need and to children or family members of service veterans.
- Montiford and Mary Beck Doupe Scholarship 4-1-18
- Applicant must be a resident of Cherokee County. Open to students pursuing studies in a medical field.
- Iowa Lakes Community College
- Northwest Iowa League of Cities 4-1-18
- Intent to enroll in a post-secondary program that may result in employment by city government (examples: public administration, water/wastewater, law enforcement, code enforcement, planner, public engineer, city attorney, etc.).
- Iowa Golf Association Foundation Ann Griffel and Herman Sani 4-2-18
- Academic performance, extracurricular activities, and leadership.ANN GRIFFEL SCHOLARSHIPThe IGAF awards $2,000 Ann Griffel Scholarships to Iowa high school senior girls who have a passion for golf and intend to further their education at an Iowa institution of higher learning, whether a college, university or trade school.APPLICATION & INFO… http://www.iowagolf.org/scholarships/HERMAN SANI SCHOLARSHIPAny graduating high school senior and resident of the State of Iowa with experience or background in golf is eligible to apply. Each recipient receives $8,000 ($2,000 per year) over a consecutive four-year period as long as the student is making reasonable academic progress.APPLICATION & INFO… http://www.iowagolf.org/scholarships
- Peace with Justice Scholarship Essay Contest 4-2-18
- High school juniors or seniors. 3 – $500 scholarships awarded. Essay topic – “Our first moral duty…is to work together to resolve by peaceful means every dispute that arises between or among us.”
- Calumet Betterment Scholarship 4-3-18
- South O’Brien Foundation Scholarships 2018 SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION 4-3-18
- Submit all materials to Dee Ann Lansink in the Superintendent’s Office. Do not submit your application in a bounded folder.
- South O’Brien Education Association
P.E.O. Sisterhood Chapter FX
Paullina Chamber of Commerce
Don & Ida Dell Memorial
Ray Ginger Memorial
South O’Brien Community School District Foundation
Primghar Chamber of Commerce
Rausch Family Memorial
Pauline Houston Memorial
Bill Thompson Memorial
Dr. Warren VerPloeg Trust
Little Sioux Corn Processors
- Paullina Lion’s Club 4-13-18
- Any South O’Brien student in the 2017 graduating class
- Primghar Community Playhouse 4-13-18
- Participated in any area of performing arts
- Baum Harmon Mercy Foundation 4-20-18
- Based on, but not limited to – participation in school and community activities, need of assistance, GPA of 2.0 or above, pursuing a career in a health or science-related field, letter of recommendation
- Brian Pearson Memorial Scholarship 4-30-18
- Must be a high school junior or senior and have previously participated in any Iowa Games events.
- University of Iowa – Pearl Hull Scholarship 5-1-18
- $800 – Must be of the Protestant faith, a resident of the State of Iowa, and a full-time student at the University of Iowa
- Brunk Educational Fund (Cherokee State Bank) 5-1-18
- Applicant must be a resident of Cherokee County. Low interest loans.
- Iowa PGA Foundation – Charlie Burkart Scholarship 6-15-18
- Based on interest and activity in golf, the potential for future contributions to the game, leadership skills/community involvement, academic/professional ability and financial need.
- Aspiring Nursing Scholarship www.nursingscholarshipalmanac.com 8-31-18
- Plan to pursue college education in nursing, including LPN/LVN, AND, and BSN programs.
- Robert C. Byrd Honors, All Iowa Opportunity Scholarship, All Iowa Opportunity Forster Care Grant, Terry E. Branstad Iowa State Fair, Education Training Voucher Program, Iowa National Guard Education Assistance Program www.iowacollegeaid.gov
- Iowa Financial Aid Application